Saturday, April 16, 2005

gerwools and geezers

people I've met
Peter likes real blues and loaned me the annotated Lolita. When he gets into a topic, he tucks his wine glass under his arm so he can gesture with both hands.
Kerry calls in sick to go to the British Museum sometimes. The only things she argues about are art and history. She offered to get me work doing gardening in Notting Hill. I'm thinking about it.
Yoav I met at Fifty Foot Wave. We leapt straight into big conversation. He has worked on every continent in the world.
John has an uncle who used to have a shop on Carnaby Street in the sixties. He recommended a wine bar to me that I'd already been to, and I pretended I'd never heard of it, and thanked him for the recommendation, and later a mutual acquaintance totally sprang me.
Suzie and James are warm and welcoming. They've been husband and wife, and business partners, for 31 years. They have an art collection, a house in the French alps (James wants to put a python in the roof to keep the pigeons under control, but the housekeeper refuses to feed it) and an awesome knowledge of cheese. They are the sort of rich people who make me want to be rich.
Den is a former prison guard with a fetish for white trainers. She has loaned me a London for free book and a pair of jeans. When I told her I was a bit sick, she said, What is it? Maybe I can help. One day she walked into a spiritualist church for a lark, and walked out with voices in her head.

Den says
I never asked for it, yer know. It's annoyin. They're like those people who hang around you because they have no friends, and they're really borin. Then she scowls and rolls a cigarette. God is loov, and loov is God. It's that simple. God's not judgin us nearly as much as we think. That's why I hate religion. Half these people wouldn't be botherin me except they think God's angry with em, and they won't move on. They're so full of guilt they can't think straight. There's no tellin em. She licks the edge of her rollie and looks exasperated. I don't know how I know this stuff, I jist do.